標題: Chile Jersey
無頭像
IblcaAv8

帖子 1485
註冊 2018-7-5
用戶註冊天數 2094
發表於 2018-8-9 19:23 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
Guyana Trades Union Congress lawyer, Selwyn Pieters, claims that he was racially profiled at the Trinidad and Tobago airport two weeks ago, while in detention by the country’s Organized Crime and Narcotics Unit (OCNU) police.Selwyn PietersPieters, who is representing the Guyana Trades Union Congress on the Commission of Inquiry into the death of Dr. Walter Rodney, in a letter, said that he was detained by members of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service.The police service of Trinidad and Tobago has since released a public apology to Pieters for the conduct of their officers.? There was also an apology from Police Commissioner Stephen Williams.Pieters was in-transit on the Caribbean Airlines BW603 travelling to Georgetown. He explained that there was a stop-over in Trinidad so that passengers could catch the BW483 flight to Georgetown which was scheduled to depart at 8:40 p.m.Pieters, who is a citizen of Guyana,Wholesale Jerseys China, Canada and the United Kingdom,Cheap Anaheim Ducks Hoodies, along with other passengers were asked to deplane, clear Immigration and Customs and then pass through to the departure lounge.Around 5:40 pm, after he had cleared Immigrations and Customs, he was stopped by “men in plainclothes” who demanded his Passport and boarding pass. He said one of the police officers, who identified himself as Constable Alleyne 17285, questioned him about the purpose of his visit to Guyana.“I told him that I am a citizen of Guyana by descent, and I do not have to explain my trip to Guyana to him as I am simply in-transit through Trinidad, and the basis of my visit to Guyana is a matter for my declaration to Immigration in Guyana. And that is really what the law is.“With respect, your officers are totally outside of their role to be questioning in-transit passengers to Guyana about the purpose of their trip to Guyana,” Pieters stated in a letter to Police Commissioner Stephen Williams.“I have not experienced that before,” he added, stating that he made the Constable aware of the fact that he was a lawyer and was knowledgeable of what are and are not permissible questions.At that point,wholesale jerseys, he said, another officer told him that he was disappointed at his “level of intelligence”. He was later detained in a room at the airport.“Fundamentally enough, at this point, or no other point,Air Max Pas Chere Homme, was I advised by the officers that I was under arrest,Cheap Basketball Jerseys, that I was being detained (even though that much appeared obvious to me), the reasons for the detention and what rights I had at that point. Is that not the law in Trinidad and Tobago to advise persons detained or arrested in this regard?” he noted.He stated that his Passport and boarding pass were taken away and his luggage was searched.“The entirety of my grey knapsack was searched by three male police officers. My wallet was run through by the police officers. My money was counted by the police officers; my legal papers were perused by the police officers. My cholesterol medication was checked by the police officers with one asking me what my crestor and xenical was for etc.”At that point he asked the Constable the purpose for the inspection, to which he received the response that he had disrespected the police.“I asked Constable Alleyne what was all of this about and he said, I “disrespected” him by not being cooperative in answering questions about Guyana,” he recounted.“If that is the case that Constable Alleyne felt disrespected for what was none of his business, then the disproportionate treatment, invasion of my privacy, illegal search of my luggage and abuse of power, says a lot about him and the colleagues that were with him, and probably how the police service feels it must respond to persons asking questions about the conduct of a police officer.”Pieters stated that detaining him was not for random security screening,NBA Jerseys Store, but rather plainclothes police officers from a specialized unit not stationed within the realm of Customs or Immigration “arbitrarily profiling and detaining in-transit passengers”.He questioned how it could have been disrespectful for a person who is knowledgeable of the law, to tell an officer that the questions that he asked must be within the parameters of the laws of Trinidad?“Why is it that the Supervisor Sergeant Alfred, believe that he can treat a lawyer without due respect?”He added that the search of his luggage was unreasonable and infringed on his dignity and his human rights, all the while, violating Articles 7 and 8 of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas.“The contempt with which these police offi