標題: Wholesale Jerseys China titled ‘Guyana Baboo’
無頭像
VxvesP0v

帖子 11567
註冊 2017-10-11
用戶註冊天數 2410
發表於 2018-4-3 20:08 
分享  私人訊息  頂部
“In everything that I do, Guyana remains first place in my heart. I attempt to inject a flavour of my home country into my songs.”By Leonard GildariePerhaps one of the most famous speeches ever made that drew on what patriotism should be was one by former US President, John F. Kennedy, at his inauguration in Washington on January 20, 1961.Terry ‘Guyana Baboo’ GajrajHe challenged Americans to “ask not what your country can do for you…ask what you can do for your country.”The words have been echoed by many and continue to this day to stir the imaginations and tug at the heartstrings of even those who lived outside of the US.It is believed that almost one million Guyanese live outside of Guyana. Staggering…if taken in context of the fact that Guyana has around 750,000 persons living within its shores.Many Guyanese have gone on to excel beyond these shores. They include the likes of Norman Beaton, who made his name in the popular British sitcom, ‘Desmond’; singer Eddy Grant who has rubbed shoulders with royalty and drew adoring crowds that singers can only dream of; poet Martin Carter and diplomat Sir Shridath Ramphal. Guyana would also want to claim a little of Bajan-born sensation, Rihanna, whose Guyanese roots are well known.And then there is another level of standout which includes an individual like Terry Gajraj.Gajraj, in the 1990s, had Guyana dancing and singing with his popularly infectious “Guyana Baboo” album. One of the songs, titled ‘Guyana Baboo’, became a craze in the Queens, New York community, spreading like wildfire down to Guyana and Trinidad, making the Berbice-born youngster an instant sensation and the song an anthem.The album was recorded in a little Bronx apartment in one night with frequent stops to cater for the noise from passing trains. It was done on a cassette…there were no CDs back in those days.It was but small testimony of how the little boy from the village of Fyrish remained determined to follow his dream of singing, regardless of the odds.? He would have released two other albums starting in 1990 – ‘Soca Lambada’ and ‘Caribana ‘92’. But it was ‘Guyana Baboo’ that did it for him.Posing with The Golden Arrowhead in front of the world renowned Taj Mahal in India.His boyish good looks and impressive physical condition have also helped him to keep performing non-stop every single weekend on the road for the last 15-20 years, not an easy feat for any artiste. And he has outlasted many a one-hit wonder.First to performGajraj is the first Caribbean singer to perform at the Millennium Bollywood Music Awards… the Indian equivalent of the Grammys. He has been described as the unofficial goodwill ambassador for Guyanese music and culture.But perhaps one of the biggest attractions of Gajraj is his ability to take seemingly taboo subjects, like the ‘Guyana Baboo’, and make it his own. It was a song chorused by the little ‘ole’ ladies at wedding houses.? Not many singers would have dared to put a mix on it. But with his love for all things Guyana, the New York-based lad who was groomed by his Pandit grandfather and uncles, found it a no-brainer.While others have claimed to have written the song, it was Gajraj’s rendition that made it “immortal”. His ‘Lilawattie’ and ‘Come Le Go Sooky’, and ‘Champa come’, on the same ‘Guyana Baboo’ album, became standard wedding house fixtures.His contributions to Guyana saw him wearing his Guyana colours and the flags,Cheap NHL Jerseys Online, making him a true representative in every sense of the word. Everything for him was somehow tinged with something Guyana.He has sung between 300-500 songs,Cheap Jerseys Store, recording almost 30 albums during the last 20 years. These included a compilation of Guyanese folk songs.? He has done Maxi Priest and renditions of ‘Roses are Red” and ‘Take the Ribbon’. He has even performed some of Tom Jones’ songs.Terry has become an automatic invitee for the chutney shows in Guyana and is in constant demand in gigs throughout the region, Canada and the US.“In everything that I do, Guyana remains first place in my heart. I attempt to inject a flavour of my home country into my songs.” He even has his costumes depicting Guyana’s flag.Gajraj is not too enthusiastic talking about his age…he is a 30-something or 40-something.Separated now, he understands it is a demanding calling that involved sacrifices…lots of it.ReligiousGajraj, or Terry as he insists to be called, grew up in Fyrish Road, Corentyne,Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys, East Berbice.His father was a head teacher of the school while his ‘Aja’ (grandfather) was the Pandit at the local mandir.“So yes, I came from a religious background.”An ecstatic fan learning the ropes with Terry’s helpHe was the eldest of three with his two siblings being girls. While the family was not rich, they were by no means starvi